Skip to content
Advertisements

I boldly went where I’ve never gone before – Star Trek TV Guides

September 26, 2010

This post has a most tenuous link with the world of comics, but there is a connection. More on that in a second. When I saw these (from 1967, 1968, and 1969) the other day for a dirt cheap price, I couldn’t resist buying them. They’re like stepping into a paper and ink time machine (or slingshotting around the sun, as it were). Here are the covers that sucked me in, with the labels covered up as unobtrusively as I could manage:

I like the two non-photo covers. Groovy.

The Star Trek articles inside are just the same stories that have been told and retold a thousand times in subsequent years: Nimoy adjusting to his ears, the shocking intensity of the fandom, DeForest Kelley feeling like the forgotten man. Still, it’s kind of neat to read this stuff when you consider that it was written contemporaneously with the series. Plus there’s the slew of rugged cigarette ads to go along with the retro-programming nostalgia.

An aside — if there are TV Guide collectors out there, do they feel they have to get the different editions for each individual broadcasting market? That seems like a hellish version of variant covers. At least none were foil-enhanced (as far as I know).

Oh yeah, the connection to comics… Here you go:

There was a Beatles cartoon?

And no, I didn’t steal these from Frank Costanza. So I don’t have his wrath to worry about:

Advertisements
7 Comments leave one →
  1. September 27, 2010 8:24 am

That painted Trek cover in the middle is awesome. And is it just me, or does this “artist’s rendition” resemble Chris Pine as much as it does Bill Shatner?

The “Marvel Super-Heroes” ad is a revelation to me; I had no idea those things aired in Prime Time. Frankly, they looked too cheap and shoddy to meet even Saturday morning’s low standards.

And yes, there was a Beatle cartoon. A few years back, Todd McFarlane made yet another fortune selling action figures based on them. You can see the occasional clip (and lots of other very cool stuff) at the Beatles Rarity blog:

2. September 27, 2010 3:07 pm

David, remember that prime time didn’t mean much to independent stations like WOR and WPIX, as they didn’t have the networks feeding them first-run shows. And anyway, prime time didn’t start in NYC until 8:00 PM.

3. September 27, 2010 4:22 pm

Even though the air time for the Marvel cartoons isn’t strictly “prime time,” I’d agree, David, that it does seem like a plum slot at a pretty late hour for such a low-budget affair. But Pat, you’re absolutely right about independent stations — beggars couldn’t be choosers back in those days.

There might be a little Chris Pine in that second cover — but I’m partial to the last black and blue affair.

4. September 27, 2010 7:28 pm

I don’t remember the Beatles either, just the Jackson 5.

5. September 28, 2010 8:03 am

Well, for the record, I was too young for the Beatles in first run, too. For my generation it was the Jackson 5 and the Osmonds (and reruns of the Monkees).

Pat, I didn’t even notice the call letters there (and if I had, I might not have remembered WOR was a NY station, being a Southern boy and all). We didn’t have the benefit of independent stations in my neck of the woods until the late 70s or so.

Still, wouldn’t “Addams Family” still have been in active production in 1966? How did they end up on an independent? I know some shows — like “Sea Hunt” for instance — were made for the syndication market even in their first run, but I always thought the Addams’ had a network home.

• September 28, 2010 9:40 am

If I may step in here, I’m sure The Addams Family wasn’t in first-run syndication at that point. This was a “five days a week” syndication rebroadcast situation, much like the way Seinfeld repeats itself these days on any channel that wants to ante up the cash.

6. September 30, 2010 10:35 am

I miss the days when Saturday mornings gave you some thing to look forward to on TV in the morning. speaking of cool animation there’s a Quick Time 3D video of ROM available at: